At the Redding Co-op, we strongly believe the more involvement parents (or grandparents, or other designated caregivers) share in their child’s development, the more rewarding the experience is for all.
This means a child’s parent has the special experience of participating in the classrooms, assisting the teacher and playing an important supporting role in the children’s learning and discovery. Parents are given the guidance they need to supervise safe play, encourage age-appropriate social skills, and learn how to foster children’s curiosity. As a participating adult, you’ll be encouraged to get down to “child level” to engage students in creative play, then to step back and enjoy watching the youngsters invent, explore and discover in their own styles.
Parents often find they are learning while at the Co-op, too — picking up parenting skills that will serve them and their child for life. Read what they’ve said in our Co-op families’ testimonials.
Here’s more about what is expected of each family’s participating parent(s). (See the Parent Orientation Handbook for details.)
- Participate one day every other week (if enrolled in the 3-year-old class), or one day a week (if enrolled in the 4-year-old class), from 8:45 a.m. to noon. Guide students in the science room, block room, manipulatives room, art kitchen, dress-up room, library-science room, or snack kitchen, as assigned.
- Serve on one of the preschool committees (see below)
- Attend once-a-month operations/parent-education meetings
- Help with the preschool’s group clean-up (twice a year)
- Participate in fundraising events
- Make playdough (typically once a year; see our playdough recipe), and do laundry (typically once a year)
Co-op Committee Positions
One adult from each family also serves on one of the following committees for the year. (Find detailed descriptions in the Parent Orientation Handbook, page 46.) Sharing the responsibility of our preschool keeps the Co-op’s enrollment costs low and fosters a supportive community that has thrived since 1956.
- Dress-Up Room
- Historian/Memory Books
- Purchasing/Enrichment/Field Trip
- Scholastic Book Club
- Jog-a-thon Fundraiser
- Holiday Craft Fair
- Children’s Concert/Raffle
- Garage Sale Fundraiser
- Week of the Young Child
- Grant Writing
Elected Parent Officers
In lieu of one of the above responsibilities, a parent may opt to serve as part of the Co-op’s elected board. The positions are:
- Vice-President / Membership Chairperson
- Participation & Records Chairperson